Thursday 22 March 2012

(CM 1145) Overall Opinion

     For my final blog post I decided to do my overall opinion of the course. I definitely recommend that anybody take this course.

     Now I’m not going to lie, it has a very fast pace and there is a lot of work to it. We were given two assignments to finish per month, so in total there were seven assignments, one research paper, and this blog. It took a lot of time, patience, and dedication but it was worth it. This course tested my writing skills and took them to another level. I’ve never heard of a rhetorical analysis or causal argument before taking this course. I had no idea how to write either of them but that’s the point of writing courses. They allow you to broaden your capability and they test you. I learned to trust in my writing and to try new things, even if it’s scary. I wouldn’t have been able to do that without this course.

     I also learned the definition of team work. I did an assignment with my classmates and I had to put complete trust into them. I didn't like the assignment aspect of it, but I did find the "team effort" very effective. I used to be petrified of group projects because there would always be one person who didn’t pull their weight, but this course changed that. It might be really cheesy to say, but I learned a lot of things that I can take with me throughout my life. I learned how to communicate with people and I learned proper grammar. I was terrible at both grammar and punctuation but I truly believe I improved. I even improved with the MLA format, if that’s even possible. I wrote a lot of essay’s this semester that had to follow the MLA format and eventually I got the hang of it. My first two attempts were pretty awful, but my third attempt showed improvement. 

     My favorite part of CM 1145 was when we were to write an emotional appeal. This allowed me to bring an important issue to the light and convince my audience that there was another way to look at the situation. I learned that there was different ways to write emotional appeals and I found that writing a story is the best way to pervoke feeling. Overall, this assignment was my favorite.

     I definitely believe I improved as a writer because of this course. If I was given a second chance and I was to choose between CM 1135 and CM 1145, I would choose CM 1145. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you, this course took a lot of time and dedication. I think I’ve improved with my grammar and punctuation as well. In high school we never really learned how to write essays in the MLA format but now I think we're all comfortable with it and it won't be a problem in the future.

    My favorite assignment this semester was also the emotional appeal. I enjoyed writing it because we had so much creative freedom. It allowed us to take issues that were important to ourselves and make them appeal to our readers.

    I can't believe this course is almost over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Kenzie Butt* sorry I forgot to write my name in the comment above.

    ReplyDelete