Monday 13 February 2012

(CM 1145) Emotional Appeals

I love writing emotional appeals! This is my favourite part of CM 1145 so far. You can write about anything you want as long as it provokes emotion.  Perhaps the reason I enjoy this is because, for once in my life I can make my reader feel something other than boredom. I had an assignment to do a few weeks ago where I could either write a logical, ethical, or emotional appeal. I chose to write an emotional appeal in the form of a story. My topic was something that is seen as morally wrong, but I wanted to convince my audience otherwise. The topic I am speaking of is abortion.

I started off my story by asking the question “Is it morally wrong to have an abortion?” Most people say yes because a human fetus is a human being with a right to live, making abortion morally the same as murder. I told a story in the eyes of a fourteen year old girl who was sexually abused by her step father since she was seven years old. Her biological father had died in a car accident when she was five years old, and after a year of being a widow, her mother decided to start dating again. That is when she met Joseph Lee Walker; they married a year later. Joseph was drinking a lot one day because he had just lost his job at a law firm where, ironically, he prosecuted rapists and child molesters while he himself was molesting his own child. He took his frustrations out on his step daughter, and six weeks later she found out she was pregnant with his child. Her mother thought she was promiscuous and had no idea the father was her own husband. Her friends abandoned her because they didn’t want to associate with “sluts”. She had to walk through the halls at school while every person she passed stared with disgust. She didn’t know what to do, she did not want to keep the child but she wass afraid of what people would think. I ended with, “What if your child was sexually abused by a family member and got pregnant. So, I ask again, is it morally wrong to have an abortion?”

I personally am so tired of people saying it’s morally wrong to have an abortion. I am pro choice and I wish society was too. It is nobody else’s business whether a person decides to have an abortion or not. People think abortions are the “easy way out” and that people who get them done are poor, lazy drug addicts. This may be the case for some people but it is wrong to characterize everybody with this label. Some people are financially enabled while others were forced into the situation. What about people who were in abusive relationships and want out? What about innocent women who were raped on the street and left with a baby? Think about your mother, or sister or even your own child. If they were raped and got pregnant, would you stick them with this label too?

What do you think? I would love to hear your opinion about this topic.
Is it morally wrong to have an abortion? 


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you completely! People look at abortions as murder, when really it's nothing like that at all. If someone isn't in the position to raise a child, it shouldn't be forced on them. I mean, imagine if you were raped and forced to keep the child. Every time you looked at it, it would be a constant reminder of the pain you suffered. A lot of people who are against it probably have no idea what it would actually be like, and I bet that if they suffered an unplanned pregnancy they would change their minds.

    ReplyDelete