Sunday 27 November 2011

My Papa's Waltz - Theodore Roethke

The whiskey on your breath 
Could make a small boy dizzy; 
But I hung on like death: 
Such waltzing was not easy. 

We romped until the pans 
Slid from the kitchen shelf; 
My mother's countenance 
Could not unfrown itself. 

The hand that held my wrist 
Was battered on one knuckle; 
At every step you missed 
My right ear scraped a buckle. 

You beat time on my head 
With a palm caked hard by dirt, 
Then waltzed me off to bed 
Still clinging to your shirt. 


     This poem is very thought provoking which is probably why i enjoyed it so much. This poem can be looked at by the father and son just playing around and having some fun, or it can be looked at by the father beating the son. I personally do not know which side is right and I do not know which side I am on. "But I hung on like death:/Such waltzing was not easy." This could mean that the father and son were playing to roughly and it wasn't easy to keep up with his father, or it could mean that his father was beating his son and it wasn't easy to hold onto him. Also, the final lines of the poem say "Then waltzed me off to bed/Still clinging to your shirt." This could mean that the father and son finished playing around and the father brought him to bed. Or it could mean the father finished beating him and he took him to bed while the son is still clinging onto his shirt, afraid to let go. But at the same time, when it says "The hand that held my wrist/Was battered on one knuckle;/At every step you missed/My right ear scraped a buckle." This makes me believe that the father held the sons wrist and punched him, and every time he missed him, the sons ear scraped his buckle. I really don't know which perspective is right and which one is wrong, I guess it's just your interpretation of it. As for me, I am stuck in the middle, I really don't know if they are playing around or if the father is beating his son. All I know is, I really enjoyed this poem because there is no wrong answer. I recommend you read this poem and think about what I have said. What do you think this poem is about ?







         








        OR

No comments:

Post a Comment